Why You'll Love the USA Places and Geographic Features Map
Your students can learn state history and geography on our #1 most popular map!
Each map has loads of fun activities for students to gain a deep understanding of US geography, including locating, labeling and shading borders, bodies of water, states, capitals, cities, mountain ranges, deserts, forests, wetlands, and more!
This map has so many creative uses, including a spooky fun idea for Halloween!
When you purchase this map you will receive links to download the free bonuses listed below. These are digital files that you can download and begin using immediately.
Step-by-Step Mapping - USA Places and Geographic Features
Step-by-Step Mapping is a high-resolution digital file meant for projecting on a whiteboard or viewing on a computer. The activity map is shown in 4-6 stages of completion. A great way to add your own customizations when projecting on a whiteboard!
CartoCraze - Mississippi River
You will receive the Mississippi River downloadable workshop (part of our CartoCraze membership.) In this workshop, students explore the river in detail with loads of fun activities, learning resources, and extra printables.
From Blank to Beautiful
Why These Maps Work
- 1Reinforces Neatness. Cartography is a great way to learn paper-to-pencil skills. For example, students may have to make a word fit into a small or odd-shaped space, while still maintaining legibility. Students learn and carry these presentation skills into their other school work.
- 2Encourage research skills. Students learn to use atlases, encyclopedias and other resources.
- 3Cooperation through teamwork. Students can work in groups while using our maps, encouraging the all-important skill of cooperation.
- 4More than geography. Our maps bring together geography and art skills, as well as providing a link to other disciplines such as math, literature and history. You can use our maps for a variety of topics and lessons. Be sure to check out our free map resources and CartoCraze membership.
- 5Fun to use. Students love to color and use their imaginations. Because our maps are fun to use, they make teaching and learning geography easier.
A Fun Halloween Project Using This Map
There are so many ways to incorporate our USA map into your curriculum. Here is one really fun idea based on a previous blog post.
Spooky Classroom Mapping
Have your students label the map with cities and towns that have Halloween-related names!
They can learn more about the USA while having Halloween fun! It is fun decorate their special "Spook-City" map with holiday images!
We learned that the US government does not use apostrophes in place names! So Deadmans Corner is punctuated properly, by the US Board on Geographic names! There are only five places in the USA that still allow the use of an apostrophe. One of them is Martha’s Vineyard – can you find the other four?
Bad Axe, MI
Bat Cave, NC
Black Cat, AR
Blood Hill, NH
Bone Gap, IL
Deadmans Corner, ME
Deadman Landing, FL
Dead Woman Crossing, OK
Devils Elbow, CA
Devils Gap, NE
Devils Ladder, ID
Devils Slide, UT
Pumpkin Center, FL
Pumpkin Center, SD
Pumpkin Hollow, NY
Red Devil, AK
Satan’s Kingdom, VT
Slaughter Beach, DE
Skull Creek, WY
Spook City, CO
Spook Hill, MD
Transylvania Beach, KY
Truth or Consequences, NM
Witch Lake, MI
There are no reviews yet.